“Dancing is more than just moving your body parts; it is a pathway of expressing your inner thoughts” – Normani Kordei
Dance at Cambridge High School is about developing creativity and challenging the way we use our bodies to communicate a story, message or idea. It is about creating a supportive, inclusive environment to challenge the norm, try new things and build confidence in oneself.
A Cambridge High School Dance student :
* Is always willing to participate and contribute – celebrates their own and others’ worlds.
* Is prepared to challenge themselves and willing to take risks.
* Can manage self – commits to learning and completes tasks.
* Is supportive of others – treats people like family.
* Is punctual and comes to class with the gear required.
* Respects both themselves, others and the learning environment.
Key Features of Learning in Dance.
In Dance students will:
* Work collaboratively to explore, create and develop choreographic skills and devices to create effective dances.
* Develop performance skills and techniques, as well as confidence and self-belief, to enhance their performance in a range of different settings.
* Increase their understanding of the elements of dance and the ways they are used to analyse, review and manipulate movement.
* Develop an understanding of dance in the world around us by exploring dance in different cultures, genres and historical developments of dance through time.
* Reflect and enrich the cultural life of their school, whaanau, and communities by means of the dance that they create and perform.